24 August, 2006

more ruled out

today i had some tests done on my legs to see if something wrong could be found. the first test involved a lady sticking electrodes on my legs. then taking a tazer type thing and zapping the nerves in my lower leg. some hurt some did not. she was having trouble finding one of the nerves so she zapped me about 1000 times. that was a bit much, but finally she found it. my nerves are all normal.
next the doc. came in to test my muscles. he stuck a small needle into certain muscles which i said usually cramp when its happening. then once the needle was in i would tense the muscle and on the computer screen (which the needle was hooked up too) a whole bunch of lines would come. it was kinda like an electronic ricter scale. he did not have to poke me many times. he ruled out muscle diesese almost right away. my dad was really happy about that, i did not even know that is what i was being tested for.
so the mystery continues. in the mean time i guess i just have to ride my bike.

speaking of riding the bike. my plans have changed a bit. after doing lactate testing and talking about important training stuff, he who was doing the testing has reason to believe my glycogen is low. too much hard training without rest. perhaps this is the source of the cramping. very well could be since it seems nothing else is. so i will not be racing this weekend. i am going to take about 3 weeks nice and easy. he says that i will actually get faster from that, because ill have more energy stores. so instead of doing the race and not getting faster, ill save up for cross season. i will be attending state fair instead.

also i stacked 3 chords of wood. thats a lot of wood.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Certainly happy to hear that you are getting OK reports from your tests...it also sounds like the riding is still sufficiently fun these days to justify throwing your leg over the bar now and then. Sweet gash in your last post...reminds me of some scars that I sport from years gone by after laying open wounds like that....precious memories one and all. Ride with us soon...Team Beat awaits.