27 August, 2007

Hitchhiking.

Hi, my name is Jake and I break way to many Bontrager wheels...
As I was finishing up my 499th recorded hour (plus or minus a bunch of hours) of training this year, I heard the now all to familiar pop of a breaking spoke. I was 58 minutes straight out from home. Luckily my wheel broke today while I was on a fairly busy road, rather that way the heck out in the middle of nowhere on some random gravel road that there is one car per hour on. Especially because there is no cell phone service way out yonder, not that there was any where I was either. But hey, thats when your hand comes in handy.
I had to ride a bit with the broken spoke, the last few breakings have been quite bad. Just throws the wheel way out of true, it must be the paired spoke design. I was always able to ride broken wheels home in the early days.
Anyway after about 30 min of waving at cars I finally got one to stop. An old guy named Ed. The car ride home was nearly 30 min long as well. So we had a nice chat about life. He was even nice enough to go 20 minutes out of his way to bring me all the way home. I know he most likely will never read this, but thanks Ed!
He said he picked me up because I looked nice, and non-threatening. The matching kit does it I guess. I like nice people.
Anyway, back to wheels. That is the third wheel I broke this summer, and 4th or 5th for the year. I don't really know why I do it so often, maybe because Duluth roads are basically like single track, or maybe its all the gravel, or maybe its the single track...hmmm. Whatever the reason they should not break so much, I am down to my last rear wheel, which is my race wheel.
Oh, I also went to the State Fair, all the food is always a good time. Just think of it as energy, then eating all the crap is just fine.

No comments: