21 August, 2006

well, at least i can remember

this morning i was not sure if i was going to do the mtn bike race up at spirit but somehow sean convinced me to spend the 32 dollars. so sean and i decided to ride the 9 mile course an hour before the start. we did most of it. but then ran out of time and rushed back up to the start and made it 3 minutes before sean started. i had a bit of 5 minutes or so. got in the front row somehow and the race was off up the hill. the first lap went pretty well. i was a bit tired from the super long hour warm up, which i think i did way to hard. but still i was only tired on the really long climb (bottom of the ski hill to top) i felt i was riding decent lines and all. about a mile or maybe a bit farther after the start i passed sean who was laying on his back on some rocks, it looked pretty uncomfortable. the second lap started well the only problem were my hands cramping up, that made the super skinny rocky single track hard. right before the trail got to a nice open road area there was a steep rocky downhill section. i screwed up and went flying over my bars and smashed my legs into some rocks. it really hurt. it made me yell a while it hurt so much. the next 3 guys who were pretty far behind me stopped to help me out. so thanks for them. after 5 minutes or so the pain had receded and i was able to get back on the bike. i rode the rest of the downhill pretty carefully. then caught 4 guys who passed me while i was down. 2 had stopped to help me and were very impressed i was still moving. so ive still finished every race ive started, that makes me happy. i have no idea where i finished, but i think i was near the top ten before crashing.

i was told not to put this up, but pictures are so fun.

but overall i think this was a good experience. second mtn bike race ever, and first one that i remember. so things are improving!

1 comment:

Sean Noonan said...

gross. i told you not to post that. ehhehhh