07 August, 2006

back at it

well ive been home for a week and a day now. its been great despite a few leg problems.
this batch of cramps started when i got off the plane in chicago. my legs cramped just walking from the back of the plane to the front and kept getting worse until i stood in line. but got really bad again when i started moving after. as planned i took off a week from biking and so for a few days i did not do much at all. so no leg trouble there. on that wednesday it was off to the Boundary Waters with some buddies. the first and thankfully only portage (carrying canoes and all over land) i was carrying a canoe and pack. a bit after starting my legs cramped and by the end i was really really struggling to walk. not only to my legs cramp, but they loose all strength. it was awful. for the rest of that day i could hardly move. sleeping helped a bit, but they still cramped when i walked a bit. i made it out of the BW without to bad of cramps although they still showed up.
yesterday i tried going for a mountain bike. i made it 10 minutes before the cramps hit. at 16 minutes into the ride i had to stop because i could not take that much pain. after a bit i tried again, then stopped. and so on for nearly 2 hours. i managed to do a super shortened loop, it should take me under 45 minutes. it took me 2 hours. i got passed by a runner. i was both physical and mentally drained after getting home. dad thinks that i may have a herniated disk which pinches a nerve, obviously one that goes to my legs. tomorrow i get a doctor appt.
today i went down to milltown cycles to get my madONE all fixed up. it was good to see ben again. after getting some new parts ingrid drove the car back to northfield and i rode my bike. no cramps at all. nothin. so confusing.i think riding the road bike de-herniates my disk or something. because as soon as i got off and walked my leg cramped a bit. weird....hopefully i can get fixed soon.


the bw

No comments: