03 April, 2008

Race recap and other news

As I mentioned last time, we drove a lot, and I had no desire to post after that ordeal. So now a short recap of the race on Sunday.
The course was a fun 5.6 mile loop. You go up, then come down, that is about it. I did not really know what to expect from the other guys in the field, so my plan was to just sit in for most of the race. I did just that, the field really did not want to let anything go. A few breaks got away, but never for more than a lap (we did 8). On lap 5 I believe the guy who won the time trail rolled off the front and the pack was very willing to let him hang. We would loose a bit, catch up, get within 50 meters then back off, this happened multiple times. I came to the front a couple of times when people took off to try and bridge to keep things together, but other than that I did nothing.
As we made the first corner on the last lap the pace dropped way off for some reason, more so than it had been previously, I was quite bored of the slow pace by this time, so as soon as we started to climb I got an opening and attacked hard. I got a good gap and bridged up to the soloist no problem. I pulled him up and over the hill, then we exchanged pulls back down to the finish area, and I knew the move had worked. When we were still aways out I told him that we should rotate through until the finish to get the biggest gap possible. During the rotation we chatted and he was close to being able to win the GC, with my crappy TT skills I was no where near. I was having a blast just breaking away so I kinda decided that I would give him the win. So as we came into the finish area I picked it up and essentially lead him out. I did not really even sprint, just cruised across the line.
All in all he deserved the win much more than I did, he had been out front for a long time while I just sat it. In addition to that he had the shot at GC. A gave a rare gift in cycling. He knew exactly what I did, and was very gracious about it, so that made it better. But still I will wonder if I would have won if I sprinted.
I did not see results until I got back home, he ended up second (unfortunately) by enough that even if he had taken second on Sunday he would be in the same place (I think). And for me, I came out overall at 11. 1 second behind 10th, and 6 behind 9. With the time bonus from winning that day I would have been 9 I think, which is unfortunate, since payout was 10 deep. Oh well, it was fun!

Yesterday I updated the Powertap software, something went wrong and ALL my training files got deleted. I wanted to crack some skulls, I still do actually. That is the reason I keep a paper copy too, I don't trust computers...

Today I rode four hours. Did the 30 second on 30 off workout, it hurt. Then I came back to school and met up with Sean and others. We cruised easy for a bit, then hit it hard for some good stretches of time. It hurt, and was great fun.
Time to build my powertap records back up...

No comments: