26 February, 2009

Back to Germany

Finally, figured out how to make blogger work!

I showed up in Frankfurt after a days worth of traveling, and not nearly enough sleeping. I was just not comfortable in the airplane seat this time. Anyhow it was good to be back in Germany, and to use my German again, it is a bit rusty, but it is coming back quickly. I am not really having trouble communicating, just talking about details...
Anyhow, after the plane and then a 4 hour train ride, I showed up to the Bühlers, my exchange family from the first time I came here. Both the kids my age are off at school, so I am hanging out with the parents and eating good food. No nighttime activities which make good for my week long training camp here.
Despite feeling like I was going to tip over from exhustion upon arrival I set out on a bike ride (yes, of course I brought the bike, and it flew for free here). I ended up riding for 2:45 in rain/snow. It was 5 C so not to cold. This place is very different in winter, the roads are harder to recognize. I am told that usually at this time of year the flowers are starting to bloom, bad luck. But it is much warmer then home still. The last 2 days above 10 C.

The Germans like their signs.
One of my favorite climbs in the area, a good 5km of steep.
Wednesday I decided to try and ride to Konstanz, 80 km. one way over very hilly terrain. Normally not a problem. But I got lost a whole bunch of time and had to turn around 15 km short, I still got back well after dark. Luckily, and thanks to Pearl Izumi at Frostbike my booties now light up, without those I probablly would have been run over....
On the way to Konstanz, towards the steep hills on the horizon.
This photo was taken 45 min later... Elevation makes a huge difference here.
Bodensee! Can´t see in this photo, but the Alps were visible. Sunday I think I will make an attempt at them. All in all ride time was 6:12... I slept to much and started at 1 instead of 10 like I wanted.

Thursday I decided to explore the Swäbische Alpen. The hills in the area around here. I found lots of nice roads, got lost again, and ended up riding 5.5 hours.
This was a fun climb.
Complete with tunnels.

Tomorrow I think I will stay in the area and do lots of climbing. 10 x 5km. That should wear me out.
Saturday to Konstanz, Sunday hopefully Alps, Monday Finland...

No comments: