07 May, 2009

Torn between two worlds

But first, weekend recap.
Saturday:
A bright sunny, not that windy day for Marty. The first of four NVGP qualifiers. Right from the start the 48 of us were haulin. The first two laps averaging 27 mph is what I heard. Due to copious numbers of center line violations the official, for good reason, stopped the race and made it known that that was not ok. Despite destructing the momentum we had going, it worked out because I got to pee, which was a good alternative to exploding. And it also was needed to keep the center line in check.
The next lap slowed down a bit, then slowly picked up. A few breaks tried to go, but nothing was going to get far. As we came whistling down the final straight (with a tail wind) I was sitting right on Doug's wheel ready to at least sit in the draft, but alas I did not drink enough or something and started to cramp up. Balls... I struggled in and held onto 6th. Not by any means bad, but I know I have some sprint in there somewhere.

Sunday:
La Crosse. Drove down being entertained by the antics of Dan Swanson, unable to get comfortable and sleep for some reason. After the race on Sat. I had a 12 hour clinical, and I got the call that we needed to leave earlier an hour into my nap... Anyhow, the course was for the most part flat, a small rise, but nothing to make a difference in the race. Right from the start it was go go go. 67 people makes things a bit more interesting. The speed never really let off, I did a little work at the front after a split in the group making sure Timmer would have at least somewhat of a chance in the end. I was in great position coming into 1 lap to go, but the field decided to sprint that time and I got moved back way to far, way out of any kind of contention. Ended up at the front end of the pack. Nothing special, but a good first crit with corners to get the jitters out. Nice and fast too, word on the street the average was 29 mph.


Two worlds:
Bike racing and wilderness. The two do not go together at all. I truly love both. The thrill and exhilaration of bike race, whipping around corners at 30 mph with 60 guys within 100 feet of you. And of course the good feeling when you finish a race and have nothing left. At the same time there is the peace and freedom of the woods. The rocks, trees and water, a place where life is simple and simply good.
Sadly they do not go together very well. If I wanna be at all competitive taking a 4 days to a week off of training at this time would not bode well for any aspirations I have of making NVGP and making it through. And of course, carrying a bike at least 20 miles into the woods is not going to happen. I love both worlds so much, no way I can give one up. I've got to figure out how I can make this work!

Peaceful
Extreme
Peaceful
Extreme

Choices choices


3 comments:

Lars Fredrik said...

Hi! I just have to ask you (beacause of the nearly exploding bladder and the cramping): what are you drinking during races? :)

Sean Noonan said...

race your bike

Sean Noonan said...

oh yeah. i am in konstanz from june 1 until the last couple days of Le Tour. (flight out of paris july 27)

get your ass out here.