12 May, 2008

It's a dangerous game.

As a cyclist I know that crashes happen, they happen to everyone at sometime or another. Most are fairly minor, but there are always some big ones. I have known a couple of people who have taken big spills during races, Finn, Tone, and a few others. But for some reason those, although fairly serious, just have not really quite hit home as hard as Sean's attack on the guard rail in Colorado.
Maybe it is because I did not see the crashes happen, or at least ride by seconds after impact, or maybe it is because I was not at the crash minutes after to see how beat up the others were, or maybe because the others had people at the races to take care of them. Or maybe it is simply because I have spent so much time training, traveling, and racing with the Doughboy that not having him around makes it seem like I am forgetting something. After all what fun is a recovery ride if you have no one to talk about the stupid people during the race with.
Anyways, a big crash of someone you know really well is one of the things that reminds you of how dangerous racing is. The fact that you know the person, and know that they are most of the time capable of riding their bicycle reminds you that it can happen anytime and anywhere...

On that note, Sean is in Colorado for a few weeks. Last week he was pushing me to stay out yonder to train and enjoy the mountains. Looks like he gets to stay out there, unfortunately he will not be able to train, and will have to settle for a view of the mountains.
I had some pictures of his bike and all, but I'll let him post those if he wants.

For me Nationals was a bit of a disappointment. I felt strong both days, and was having a blast attacking during the road race. On the final climb, arguably the most important part of the race I dropped my chain and thus was out of contention. I chased as hard as I could up the hill, down the next hill, hitting 95 km/h chasing down, seeing two bodies plastered against the guard rail, then seeing Sean's bike. Oh shit... I continued chasing and ended up about 15 seconds back from the group I would have been in, which was sprinting for 5th or so... After that I immediately took off back up the hill to find out what had just happened (see above).
In the end I finished 22, I know that without the chain drop it would have been much better, I was feeling good. But how much better it will never be known.

The crit was not any better. Right off the bat things were hot, at some point some riders got away. Soon after some more kinda rolled off the front and being boxed in I could not get anywhere. I tried multiple times to get away, but to no avail. I ended up 24th. Again disappointed but better than last year.

Training ride.
More training
The hill, Sean and I are the two dots on the hill.
Crit start
Trying hard.

No comments: