26 October, 2008

Afton Alps

What may be one of the last warm days until spring brought me to Afton Alps for another lovely cx race. I cruised down with Ross, who after having a very slow start to his season cruised away from the B field and can now hopefully race A again. Then we can leave Duluth later. Anyhow well done to him.Ross on his way to victory.

Dave Langely rode in circles as well.

The course to my delight was in many respects very similar to the Olaf cx course. Mostly flat with a big ass run up.
Not nearly soon enough the race was off, I felt good, I just sat in the top 5, cruising along for the first couple of laps, I did not even feel as though I was working. On the decent my chain bounced around and somehow got over my chain guard, thus forcing a stop to repair, and loosing contact with the lead group, screwed over once again by the damn chain. I tried to chase, but with a long into the wind road section it was not possible to regain contact by my lonesome. Nevertheless I continued to chase with a few guys sitting close behind, then as I got on my bike after on of the barriers my chain had randomly decided to jump ship again. I considered throwing the bike into the chair lift pole for a bit, but ended up getting back on, chasing the group that went by me. With 1.5 laps to go I regained contact, but had zero in the tank. On the big hill I got gapped by two of them and ended up pulling the 3rd all the way down the road, right up to near the last barrier where he decided to pass me by ramming my bars. This guy has a serious issue with cutting people off, consider this your last warning. Unfourtunatly he beat me to the line as well. I ended up 8th I beleive, when I should really have been much higher then that. I felt good for most of the race, the mechanicals just really seem to take it out of me, totally destroying my rythm and concentration. I have tried to fix it, but I can never get the chain to jump track in practice, only races, and when it happens then I have no time to sit down and ponder the reason. This week I will put many hours, but few dollars into fixing it.
I just discovered I missed getting my race paid for due to my chain, I think I want to burn it.
Run up
I raised my seat a bit again, I think that made a big difference.


Right before dropping chain for second time...

Sunday I decided not to race for various reasons. I still rode and became quickly dissappointed I did not race. I felt really good. Why waste feeling good? So I went out and hammered it for a good 30 minutes in the rain and cold.

No comments: