03 March, 2009

Off to Finland

After the Alps, and returning to the Buehlers it was time to come to Finland. I got everything packed, and we were off to the airport. But first, a big thank you to Leo and Vera for letting me stay there and eat all their food. Trip not possible without them!
At first things went smoothly at the airport. I got charged 25 euro for the bike, whatever, not to bad compared to what I have been charged. But then I got called back to the counter, apparently the case was too big to fit onto the plane. Which is a load of BS, because the plane was probably only 1/3 full. So I had to leave the bike in Stuttgart for the night while I continued. In addition to my bike not making it, my other checked bag got put on the conveyor belt, instead of being put on another airplane, they really messed it up! After a bit of searching I found a relatively cheap hotel to use up my 10 hour layover.
When I got to the airport in the morning the checker-iners were convinced I already had 2 bags on the plane and tried to tell me I had to pay a bunch more. I argued until they realized their mistake and got everything checked in again (except bike). Of course they decided that only one carry one was allowed this time, but it did not cost extra and I have it, so that was actually nice.
So I now sit in the airport in Helsinki waiting for my bike to show up in another hour (been here 2 already). I have been told to go to my place I will be staying, and to wait for the bike. I will wait for it, I would rather not loose it...
The internet is free in this airport, so I dont mind too much. Still sucks, but so is life.
Bikes are a bitch to travel with, but they are so fun that it usually is worth it.

No comments: