06 July, 2007

4th of July

The race was a smashing success, thanks to all of the people who helped out. The weather was nice and hot, the turnout great, and racing fast. Results and other stuff can be found here.

My personal race however, was not particularly stellar. Right from the start I was feeling slugglish, perhaps that was because I told the officials to have the first prime on the first lap. Thus the pace was 100% right away. I wanted to make things interesting. And that did it. After that the pace did not slow down much, and I never started feeling great. I started feeling better, but better was not good enough. Eventually a break of 7 or 8 got off the front, then another of about the same size. The rest of what was left of the field slowed slightly. Eventually right near the end of the race the first break lapped us. The then larger group stayed together until the last lap when those with energy left took off. I just cruised in finishing 21 out of the 54 starters. Not where I wanted to be, but, not every race goes as planned. I can blame a whole bunch of things as to why I did not race like I know I can. But I'll just say I prepared poorly coming into the race and it showed.
On a better note, my legs are finally talking to my brain again and letting me know they are tired, no more confusion is good.
So I'll rest up until Sunday when it is off to Hopkins for another crit.

Here are some photos from Jim Wellbrock

I guess I was not the only one hurting...

1 comment:

Tone Coughlin said...

Welcome to the big boys racing club! No more cat 3 sandbaggers easy racing. Now it's all about how fast you can ride at top speed and how fast you can recover from a sprint in order to sprint again and again. Place yourself strategically and work on your sprint.

Thats enough from Dad now, see you tomorrow with your new teammate!