07 August, 2007

Finding a fit

I decided that I actually need to get my bike fit properly. I stopped at Ski Hut on the way home today. I changed a few things a bit. Seat up, and forward. I still need to work on the cleat position. My 3 hours of straight ride time had my feet burning almost the whole time...

Yesterday was the Brewhouse Triathalon. I have gotten to know the director (and owner of all Brewhouse establishments) pretty well. He put me in charge of the bike course and all involved. It was really good to be a part of a bigger event (there were 690 entries). Good experience to bring to my smaller races.

Other than that things have been pretty low key. After getting back from the BW I have picked up my training again. I did not have a whole lot of time on Fri. or Sat. so I only got to ride about an hour each of those days. But other than that I have been doing at the minimum 2 hours training, with 2 hours total of commuting. With commuting today is 5 hours. Good deal.
Rowing is going, but it just makes me so tired. This summer I have come to realize how important sleep is for good training. I can't wait until rowing is over...

Also I am a published writer!
The website makes you register. I will just put what I wrote on here. It was published in the Sunday paper. I posted something very similar before, but this is all jazzed up.
Recently, I have noticed a drastic increase in the amount of road rage toward cyclists. In the last week I have been honked at, yelled at, swerved at, sworn at in a variety of ways, and nearly been hit by passing cars in multiple areas of Duluth.
What I don't understand is why riding a bicycle angers some motorists so much. Honestly, he or she will maybe, just maybe need to slow down. Most likely all one must do is nudge the steering wheel just a little in order to not come dangerously close to hitting a cyclist. Maybe the motorist will be another 20 seconds late to getting to where he or she is going, surely no more.
Back to my question, why do some motorists hate cyclists so much? Is it because we cyclists are out using our bodies in the beautiful summer sun while they are sitting in hot cars? Is it because we are enjoying our ride for training or commuting? Or is there some other reason. And as long as a cyclist is going the speed limit (or the speed of traffic when it’s faster) there is no reason we cannot use the main roadway. Often, it is yelled by someone in a passing car to “get on the sidewalk,” when in fact riding on a sidewalk is prohibited by law.
All I have to say is that motorists should get accustomed to cyclists, because our numbers will grow as the price of gas goes up. Why not stop fighting a losing battle and get out, get in shape, save the planet by enjoying one of life’s simple pleasures. If you are unable to then please give us some space, wave and smile instead of honking and swearing. Is that really too much to ask?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for everything this past weekend,Jake...the Brewhouse Tri is a terrific event but is better for your involvement. Very professional.

ps Your editorial could be cut and pasted into almost every editorial page in the country...Nice job!!!

Kathryn said...

you should put a link to your letter to the editor. it was great.