23 August, 2007

Rippin legs off

Tonight I rode with the mountain bikers from Ski Hut. I did so because they were going hard often, and on gravel. Both things are exactly what I wanted, and of course I rode my madone (I also rode 2 and a quarter this morning with Christoph. Not hard, but not easy).
Anyways back to the action. We rode out on pavement for about 50 minutes to the first gravel. I pulled the whole time at a good 34 km/h or so. The gravel was a road I had never been on before, so I had no idea what was coming. More fun...I took off right away and dropped all but one guy who did all he could to hold on for the next 24 minutes. It was great, the road was a bit sketchy at times for a road bike, but no all that bad. After about 15 minutes of easy it was time to light it up again. This road I somehow managed to get a good gap early on and just kept making it bigger. This road was about 10 minutes long, I came to the pavement over a minute ahead of the others. On most of the gravel I was going about 35-37 kmh, but saw up to 53, never below 30 though. Shortly after everyone was back together we took off again. I was out front at first pulling, but got a little at the start of a nice hill. I was still recovering when the guy who held on during the first interval took off with a great attack, there was nothing left to respond right away, and he got a good 100 meter gap quickly. After a short decent I got it back and just flew up the next small hill and on the next flat section just blew by him. Good times. Another 15 minutes of balls to the wall done. Just one little section remained, which we did not go super hard, but hard, only for about 5 min though.
Anyways it was a great ride, exactly what I needed. I showed myself that I am feeling quite strong and have lots of power when I need it. And it looks like my battery has a pretty damn good charge at this point too. I guess I have been doing something right in my training...
The whole ride the others were waiting for me to get a flat, the Refuse tires refused everything and baffled everyone, and made them hurt. HA!

2 comments:

Large Falling Icicles said...

No more cramps I quess. Sounds like Paris-Roubaix.

Sean Noonan said...

you should race saturday.