09 September, 2007

Class, Power, and Jesse James

Last week classes started. Unlike most other semesters most of my classes should be really good.
I have: the ethics of war, Chinese, German, and it's about sex. I think they all have the potential of being very good.

Last week Powertap came as well. It is really quite fun to look at all the information I get out of it. While riding today I was just watching the watt reading. The reading is always changing, very hard to keep it consistent. I am wondering if I am putting more power in with my right leg then left, the reading kept varying 5-10 watts and seemed to be in unison with the push of each different leg. I'll have to look into that.
Now that I have the information, I just need to figure out how to use it to get faster...

Yesterday was the annual Jesse James bike tour. There is a 10, 30, 60, and 100 mile ride. On Friday night, while out and about, I had convinced two others to come with me. However, that was at 1 a.m., thus when 7:30 came around both were not to be seen. So off I went by myself. I rode with a doctor from the Mayo for just over 50 miles, then he said he was to tired to carry on at my pace so I took off for the rest solo. I only started getting tired in the last 30 minutes of the ride, which was after the 100 mile mark. On the way through the outskirts of Northfield I came across and art show, and they were selling kettle corn, I love that stuff, so I bought some and had to carry a giant bag of popcorn a good 5 miles. Ha.
All in all the ride was 181 km (108 miles) and 6 hrs 4 min long. I hit the 100 mile mark at 5 hrs 15. I had an ok avg. of 205 watts for the century. After that I just cruised back.

Today I woke with tired legs, but after breakfast I felt great. I went out for 2 hours, just me Powertap and iPod. During the ride I came to the realization that I really do enjoy riding solo. The iPod talks to me, and Powertap tells me how my form is, even better than other riders can. Group rides with the Olaf "team" a few times a week will be good this year, but not everyday like in the past. I need to do my own thing, train right, and now train really smart.

1 comment:

Stormspandies said...

oh yeah, we sure bailed on you. Oh wait, you were't there when you said you would be and as I left my rear tire blew apart. I suck I guess.