04 September, 2007

It's 101, lets go race.

Apparently it gets hot in Missouri. And yesterdays race started at 2, while 3 is usually the hottest part of the day. Good timing, eh?
Anyway, despite it being hot (the hottest I've ever raced in) I was pretty much ready to rock for the final day of the Gateway Cup. I did what I thought was a good enough warm up, and soon the race was on. The first 15 minutes sucked, I was no where near warmed up enough so I was suffering on the hot gradual uphill that was half the course. Eventually I started feeling better and started moving up. Up and up I went, it was great. After some time I was exactly where I had wanted to be the entire weekend (with the exception of a break), I was sitting comfortably in the position 1 to 20 of the peloton. Nice and safe and yet plenty of wind block, I sat on Dan Schamtz's (the local BMC pro that won the weekend) wheel for quite some time. I went with some break attempts, but nothing got away after the first break of the day.
As the race went on it got hotter and hotter. Most of the hill was in the shade, but the top was not, every time we went over it felt like stepping into a sauna.
Unfortunately my good positioning was suddenly lost with about 20 minutes to go. The peloton simply engulfed the front and it changed. I spent the rest of the race trying to get back up. I did not make it to the front, but came in with the main sprint group. so around 30 or so back I think. But it was a good day in all.

I wore the Olaf kit because white is cooler...

The weekend was a great time. For sure the fastest crits I've done. the 130 man peloton and the fast teams are really great. I need to do more big races. I am pleased with my form at this point, on most occasions I was able to make my body do what my mind wanted. Unlike Sean who had some trouble. It is always fun to see my training working right. Also this was my first real test of multiple days of racing. My body handled it great. My legs are not fried at all right now, but recovery ride is still in order. The only thing I wish I would have done was to go out and attack more. I was to afraid in the first few days because I did not know if I would have the energy to make it through. And the last day I had some chances, I just did not take them for some dumb reason. Oh well, I've still got a long time to race bikes. There will be more chances.

Next up Cross!

3 comments:

Large Falling Icicles said...

Superweek knows best.

Jake Boyce said...

if you are going to leave comments like that, dont leave any

Anonymous said...

But Rich knows everything...