14 May, 2007

Mild Success (post on RR below)

After yesterdays disaster I wanted to do something today in the crit.
So after not enough of a warm up I took to the line. Sean and I had decided that we might as well try a cyclo-cross start for the heck of it (0 to full blast right away). It did not work at all. Here it is failing! But it was worth a try.

I was able to stay near the front for the first few laps, I was even on the front for a bit I guess. Although it doesn't look like I wanted to be. I even got in a short break. That was totally screwed up when some guys who had crashed were started as we came through, instead of the peloton (not that we were much ahead, but still).

Here is that break.

After that things went south for awhile. I forgot how to corner (which on a course with 8 turns is not good). I slowly drifted to near the back of the pack. Not good at all. I was also not nearly warmed up enough and my legs were not responding great. After about 20 minutes my legs got better and I moved up a bit. Then a little while after that I figured out how to corner. Things got fun. I was able to finally start moving up, and was doing so slowly. Then at one point the right side of the peloton slowed and the left side picked up. I was on the left, I used this momentum and shot out into the open (after a break of three). It was great to be up on the front. I stayed there for a few corners. I think that is when these were taken by Dad.



After I figured out corners.

I moved back a little to rest up, at one point going through the start/finish area I put in an attack to try and bridge up and got announced (I'm told). But it did not work and the field caught up a corner or two later. I then just sat near the front for most of the time, however I pulled through once in a while just to do it. Then at some point, which I have trying to figure out when and how. I was magically 30 back from the front. I have been trying to figure out when and how but just can't. It is making me angry! With 2 or 3 laps to go some guy picked a line going around a corner that led right into my left leg. He went down hard and took some others with him. All I got was some tire burn on my leg. Lucky. The last lap I just hung in there because the pace was simply to high to move up anymore. In the end I finished 35th I guess. Not nearly as high as I wanted, but I got a chance to have some fun on the front. So I can live with it. Full results here
I am already looking forward to next year.
The weekend is so much fun, and so well organized. The road closures are amazing. Racing through downtown with all the people watching you and everything is a blast.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jake.....It's fun to see that triple frame sequence especially after a live viewing in Lawrence. Thanks again for a great weekend of adventure.....you and your teammates are a riot to hang with and terrific athletes. Happy birthday (again) and sorry about the bittersweet details during the RR.....

Anonymous said...

hi jake, sehe gerade in deinem Blog, bei dir läuft die Saison auch auf Hochtouren. Habe jetzt 2 Wochen Urlaub und werde von meinem neuen Wohnort Weingarten nach Radolfzell und Konstanz in Urlaub gehen um auf meinen alten Trainingsstrecken zu trainieren. We miss you in the lbs cup, the team is in the ranking on 3rd place. Maybe the reason is me - i'm not driving in the team ;-)))
greetz from Germany alexander.gajo@gmx.de