07 March, 2007

Colorado

is really really nice. The weather has been amazing, 45-50 and sunny. Big mountains all around, the only bad thing so far is the fact that we are racing at 8,720 feet. A good 8000 feet higher than Olaf. Needless to say I can feel the altitude quite handily. Although I feel a lot better than I thought I was going to. Anyways, on to the races...
Sprint (super long)
A normal sprint course takes about 3 minutes, about 1 km or so. The sprint yesterday took me 5:26 for my fastest time. A very long sprint, I'd reckon just under 2 km. It was a fun course. You go up for half the race, then down a super turny hill, then onto a long slightly uphill finish. That is the part that hurts the most. I qualified in 3rd (out of 53), so I was quite happy. The top 10 went to heats, where the finals were decided. I managed to make it to the finals which guaranteed me a 4th place. Which I did end up using this auto 4th. The other guys in the heat took off at the end, and with only 3 lanes for the finish I just cruised into the finish. Out of the final 4, 3 were from MN, and 2 from Duluth (Bjorn Bakken and I). I found this quite entertaining.
15 km (skate)
The race today was a mass start. Those are usually pretty stressful and one must be really aggressive to get a good position. It is a lot like biking. I really enjoy pushing people around, so I got a good spot. The first lap was great, skis were fast, body was working well. Then for some reason right as the second lap was starting, I started to die. I think it was partly because I got tired, and also my skis got really slow, but what can you do. I just pushed through the pain and managed to stay 10th until the finish stretch where I put 40 meters on a kid in the last 200. All told I finished 9th.
Other Olaf kids are doing decent.
Sprint: Shaina 2nd, Caroline 9th
15km: Caroline 5th, Jennie 8th
Sprint: Nels 9th
15km:Nels 8th

Tomorrow is a rest day. I cant wait...

Team pic
There is a lot of this at the finish.
Guys off on the first lap of the 15 km (im 5th or so)
The trees on the other side of the field are where the finish is.

No comments: