24 April, 2007

Back with avengence

This weekend we rolled on down to Lincoln, NE for the collegiate race which is part of the Lincoln Plating stage race. The race is really well put together and brings in riders from all over. Sometime I want to do it as a cat. race. We stayed at Troy Krause's house, one of the guys I pulled around in Iowa. He and Holly where great, we were really well taken care of so a big thanks to him. Also to their dog who provided some good entertainment.
Anyways Saturday morning came about bright and sunny and windy as all heck. The forecasted winds were for gusts of 36, which I am sure happened and were probably exceeded. Our race started at 12:30 due to the time trail for the cat. race in the morning. So not much hurry for us, it was really nice. We got there and I started my warm up, and instantly like a bad habit the fabled cramps crept back in. They hurt pretty bad during the warm up, I stopped to stretch a few times to no avail, tried drinking a decent amount of water, electrolyte pills. Nothing would stop them, despite this I lined up thinking they might just go away. For the first 100 meters I was fine. Then back they came, my whole legs just being crushed by themselves. The first lap of the (13 mile???) course was ok, It started really slow because of the massive wind. At one point I even tried to go attack which was ridiculously weak. After a little bit the pace picked up and I went immediately into the red zone. I was working as hard as I possibly could to hang on, I remember making noises and everything too. My body was maxed out just to go slow, it was real bad. I could not get in the drops because it hurt to much. So wind really sucked. Every time I stopped pedaling it would take all of my strength just to get my legs going again, in the short 40 minutes of the lap and a half I did I drank a water bottle.5. Then as we hit the head wind my legs just simply would not go. I said to Finn and Moritz I'm done and went off to the ditch where I had to fall off my bike in order to get off my legs were so tight. I then proceeded to lay in agony in the ditch for 10 minutes before an official pulled over. He had to basically pick me up and lift me into the car. I simply just could not move my legs were so cramped up, I was 85% paralyzed. Not fun at all. Simply awful in fact. I was transfered cars at one point so the officials could follow the race. The photographer brought me back to the staging area, thanks to him I survived. Troy and his crew then helped me out, and in the next few hours I drank more water and other fluids then I have ever in one sitting before. I took about 45 minutes, but I was able to start walking again. The cramps were finally fading, but still there. Eventually the races finished up. Sean in the A break getting 3rd and Finn in the chasers getting 8th or so. Kyle was in the B break and got second. Mark was a bit back. Good job to all them in the heat and the wind. After a few more bottles of water I decided to try and ride. My legs moved, still hurt, but moved, but my stomach was pissed. No idea why, it remained pissed until Sunday afternoon. But I was able to ride for just over an hour.

Sunday the race started at 8 A.M. so we were up at 5:30 to get ready. I hobbled around Troy's house with my unhappy stomach and somehow managed to get ready to race. We got to the course a bit later than I wanted for that particular day (fine on any other), but it was my fault. I could not go any faster. I got about 25 minutes of warm up in the Thunderstorm (with rain) before start time. Not long enough. My legs were still pretty tight, but they moved. Big improvement. I was able to be with the group, I even put in some attacks because that is what I like to do. They were not strong like I wanted, but nevertheless the strung out the pack. A very short 30 minutes in the pouring rain later it was over, I somehow still managed 7th...
Sean, Mark Smelzer, and Moritz then went on the A-Team ride. It was good, my legs were happier after that, but still not good. We then went to Chipotle and used our free burrito coupons (2 each) for a total of $13 in free food. Nice...With the T-shirts from the race and all the fluids I drank, I came out well ahead, or rather St. Olaf came out ahead. HA!

Early on
A field in the down pour

In someways I am glad that I cramped up, I believe I have figure out why it happens only after traveling. It simply must be that when traveling I don't drink anything, don't eat well, and don't move much. 3 things my body is not used to and does not like. Hopefully it is that simple and it won't happen again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jake.....nice photo in the velonews photo gallery!