16 April, 2007

I'll get a chance...

This morning begun at the early hour of 6 A.M. It was off to the U of M crit up in Minnetonka. We got there a bit late, but so did everyone else and the race started 30 minutes late. The B race had only one Olaf rider today, which was Kyle. He did well for not having any team at and pulled in a nice 3rd place to get his first podium ever. All with a swollen hand from a crash yesterday.

I decided to get a nice long warm up in today, for a few reasons. First it was a short 45 minute race, and second Sean and I had plans for a cyclo-cross start, which means floor it from the get go. So 10 rolled around and not much after that it was time to go. Just as planned Sean and I and a few select others hammered it of the line, unfortunately people were ready, and the pack never split up at all. Oh well, I would make more chances. Opus, the course where the race was, is apparently known for not letting breaks go. I was feelin good again, so just like yesterday. I tried and tried. But first the others on my team. Both Brandon and Finn were riding well today. Brandon had a couple of good attacks, and Finn had a great solo lap, in which he got caught at the line for 1st place in the prime. He still pulled a second in it though. Finns attack was great. He had been pretty quiet yesterday, just sitting in, and was quiet until his move today. Everyone was watching for Brandon or I (from Olaf) to go, so when he went no one really started chasing right away. It was really nice, and gave me some good rest while others chased.
But back to my attacks. I don't really know exactly when I went for the first time (besides of the line), but it could not have been long after. I had a few weaker attacks that did not get anywhere. But also a handful that did something. Two of the three of those possibly could have worked, but a KS guy really screwed things up. In both cases I went and a few others came with (most notably Brian Mortiz and Pat Lemeiux, who seemed to be following my every attack). It was good to have some partners in crime. However, the guy from KS made it as well. Each time we started to get organized (i.e. circling), and every time as we came in for a lap (which always happened to be primes) he would sprint, throwing of the rhythm of the group and breaking it up. The second time he did this I simply just sat on his wheel and bitched him out for doing it (rightly so, because I got comments after the race about him breaking everything up each time and how had we worked together the break would have made it).
In the middle of lap 6.5 to go I was on the front, and people were not pulling through, so taking my chances as usual. I attacked hard. It is not usual to have an attack off the very front work, but it sure did. A big thanks to Brandon, who near the front at this time did a bit of blocking. For the next 3 laps I soloed gaining time the entire time. Finally freedom! With 3 and a qauter laps to go I got caught by Brian Crosby from the U with Brad from K-State sitting behind him. We worked together for a bit, with Crosby and I doing most of the work. With just over half a lap to go I attacked hoping to drop the others. Crosby could not hold and had to drop off. But the K-State guy was able to hang on. He went, and I was able to get on his wheel. Then about 250 meters to go I tired to go again. I did not get much on him, but a little gap. Not enough though. 50 meters or so before the line he got around me. I tired to make it up, but needed another few meters. He beat me out at the line by a few inches. Crap.
I really need to work on my sprint. I had plenty of energy, just not enough jump to get the disheartening gap. I know I've got the power, I showed it the last few days. The endurance too. Now I just need the sprint.
I guess it is just not my turn to win a race yet. I definitely have been trying, I really want a win soon. I think if I improve on the form of this weekend, things will work out really well. I am still feeling great now. After recovery tomorrow, who knows what will happen.

Brandon and Finn again finished well. Brandon won the group sprint for 4th place, and Finn came in 8th. Sean on the other hand did not finish so well, because he thought the finish was a prime. Oops.
After the race Finn said he though Brandon had won, he did not see me or the other two, I guess we were pretty far out ahead.
Cool
Again today we won overall as a team. Good bragging rights is all we get.
Hopefully there will be some pictures up soon from today.

Next weekend Nebraska. Should be fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey good job today (and yesterday too...you attacked like mad all weekend)

yea, beer really pissed me off by sprinting for all those primes...if he wouldn't have done that, we could have had a chance to make one of those breaks stick but whatev

your final attack today was nice...you got a big gap QUICK...i didn't think brad and brian would catch you

see you next weekend