04 April, 2007

It got cold out,

but first. My comments about my race on Sunday may have sounded harsh. Yes I was disappointed in not winning, but like I said that is bike racing, Atlas mans (Tracy) strategy worked better than mine. That is how it goes. What I said was not meant to be taken that seriously, it was mostly just giving Tracy crap. I am sorry if you were so upset by it, the whole calling him an asshole was probably a bit much. Please take this as an apology. And for everyones future reference, when it seems like I am bitching about something during a race or the likes. It usually just means I am giving who ever crap, making fun of them, but not in a way intended to piss anyone off. And hey, I know my race strategy sucks. Just trying to drop everyone does not work anymore.
Congrats to Tracy for being able to hold on the whole race and go around in the end for the win.
That's all I am going to say on that.

That brings me on to this week. Yesterday was I think the largest group ride between Olaf and Carleton ever. There were a total of 15 or 16 people there. Wow, nearly as big as a collegiate field! Sean and I just hung out and went easy, but many of the other went hard on multiple occasions. It was a good ride.
Today the weather took a turn for the worse, but I stuck to my plan of riding the full course. The wind was a steady 22 mph. (I think is what NOAA said) with gusts of what felt like hurricane force. All from the NW which means it was cold, so cold...Luckily it stopped precipitating when I went out. But it was still cold, never above 37. And once in a while I was pelted by ice from the sky. Luckily it was small stuff, but it still stung. I rode out to the course and started my laps. I was surprised that the first took me just over 32 minutes (for 8.77 miles). Then on the second lap I realized it was the wind that was killing me. Going up one of the long hills directly into the hurricane was very taxing, and very very slow. On my 3rd lap Sean finally joined me, Finn and Kyle said they were going to. But I am told by Finn that they made it out to the course and started looking for me, but the wind was to strong for them and they went home. But round and round Sean and I kept going. On the last lap Andrew joined us. Good thing too he helped a lot on the way home.
For the 6 laps of the course it took me 3 hours and 27 minutes. That is a very very slow 52 or so miles. But I did it and feel fine now. With the 3/4 of a lap I needed to get started and finished, and all the hills getting to and from the course, I reckon I climbed about a mile in vertical feet today. Not bad.
After 5 hours of freezing I finally made it home. My hands and feet were quite numb, and even now are still chilled. But my legs still feel good, which is what matters!
I got some pictures from Nate Ryan from the KS weekend. Here are the best.

Warm up.
Chillin
Making Sean hurt.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

um....I couldn't really understand the above comment from professor guy but I did want to say I appreciate your posting today. If your down for Snake Alley and need anything let me know. Noonanns been to my place. I usually through something together like a pasta feed Saturday night.
-Tracy

Pete Basso said...

I'm probably the only Guy who has read the entire post from the professor and have to say, "Thank You" professor. Well written and inspirational. I, for one, appreciate the wonderful versus and quotes.