02 April, 2007

A free weekend.

In terms of racing at least, heres how it played out.
Saturday:
At least it was not cold out, but it was sure rainy and windy. After a few bagels it was off to a bit east of Des Moines to do the Altoona Road Race. We (Sean, Andrew, and I) got there a bit early and managed to avoid the lines for registration. At 11 Sean went off with the 1/2 cat. 5 minutes after that I too rolled out of the start area. It was my first categorized road race besides collegiate in the US since being in Germany. I did not really know what to expect of the pace. It was not to high at the start, a bit of attacking occurred, but nothing got away. One guy grumbled that the guy who was attacking currently, always did so and he did not like it. A minute or two after that I attacked. Ha! On one of the hills early on in the race, I'd guess 10 minutes in, an break formed and I happen to be in it. There one or two guys bridged up making the number 7 I think. We were cruisin, we ended up catching the 1/2 who started 5 minutes ahead. It was great. After the 13 mile lap was over we had a massive gap. On the second lap it began to pour and a bit of hail to I think. Needless to say it got very wet. Then on the hill that the break formed on I started to bounce, uh oh. A flat...Luckily I had a pair of wheels in the wheel truck which was following the break. I changed as fast as I could, which was too slow. I spent the next 3/4 lap chasing back to the break, at one point another guy from the break flatted too, except he dropped out. Lucky for me I guess. Anyway, right as the third lap started I caught the break. Needless to say I needed some recovery time which I took. I had no trouble holding the breaks pace, and even put in some attacks to see if I could get people to work harder (because they were not working). I guess I did that too much, with the combo of energy spent chasing back on, and attacking, I did not have the gas when the deciding attack came...I and 2 others were dropped, and then the third with me was dropped. My new partner and I tried to chase back on, but the others were to strong as a tripod. Eventually the 1/2 group caught back up and we hung out with them for a bit, but then since I did not want to get DQed I dropped off the back and spent the next lap.5 soloing for 5th place.
I was and still am just pissed about that flat. I know if that would not have happened I would have easily made the deciding attack and been in there for the finish, but the fifth place got me $25 which paid for my race.
Sean dropped out of his race, and Andrew got 3rd in the 4/5 race.

Chasing back after the flat.

Sunday:
Another wet windy morning, but this time cold. Despite that it was off to a day at the Iowa State Fair Grounds. By the time my race started it had dried out, but was still chilly and windy. The course was great. The start and finish at the top of a nice hill. One went down, then right back up. Good time. Anyways, the race started a bit slow, on the hill the first time things remained low key, everyone just testing to see how they would do. I am not sure if it was the 2nd or 3rd lap, but not long into the race a hard attack came on the hill (from the guy who initiated the attack that dropped me yesterday). I knew I had to go, and wanted to as well. I had no trouble at all bridging up, I felt great. Two more guys were able to follow, the rest were not. After one lap 10 seconds, 2 laps 19 seconds, 3 laps 30 seconds, a few laps later a minutes, another few laps 2.5 minutes...Through all of this every one in the break was doing an equal amount of work, however, I always ended pulling up the hill, which was ok since the tail wind was so strong there was no draft. Once we heard 2 minutes as our gap, 2 of the guys stopped working (the guy who started it kept at it). Not cool. I don't believe in free rides...I put in an attack on the hill, but everyone was able to follow. I yelled at them all to keep pulling through, which they did to an extent. Despite the slackers we caught the main field, and lapped them. That was great. And soon after that it was nearly time to finish, at the very start of the last lap 2 guys from the main field tried (I think) to pick it up as to not get lapped. Which was handy because they pulled us down the hill through the hard wind. At the bottom of the hill I put the hammer down. Absolutely blew the main fielders out of the water, and dropped one of the breakers, and got a small gap on another, unfortunately one guy was able to follow (because he did nothing the last 20 minutes of the race) and got around me right at the top of the hill. I just could not get back up to him and he beat me out by a second or two. Asshole, I side with Jens Voigt, and that if you don't do any work in the break you should not win. But that is bike racing for you, gotta kick your own ass until the line, I managed second anyhow, and $50. Which paid for the race today and an extra $25, to cover food for the weekend I guess. Oh, I forgot to mention, the guy who one did not race yesterday either, so he was nice and rested...
So there was my free weekend. I am not too disappointed, I just know now that the racing in Germany was so much faster than here. And I raced most often in the lowest cat. Once I get my legs strong again, I'll have no troubles at all...
Sean did really well in his race and got 5th, and Andrew had a leg problem and had to drop.
Must have been early in the race, since I (and the guy right in front of me) were taking a turn at the back...
Needs no explanation...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

man you are a poor sport. you have no idea what I did Saturday. I guess complimenting you on your abilities after the race was the wrong thing to do. Your take on things and my take on things are clearly different.
love,
the asshole you raced with

Anonymous said...

I am neither condemning or condoning anyone but isn't the old adage that he who does the least amount of pedaling usually has the best chance of winning?

Wheelsucking on group rides is lame but in races wheelsucking is a winning strategy if you can get away with it.

Anonymous said...

Narcissistic cat whatever, could you be any more self absorbed. Perhaps a you need a near death experience to help you pull your head out of your ass and your foot out of your mouth. I'm wondering when and if you'll be a 2 as humbling will be your experience. I digress as since you haven't become a 2 let alone a 1 by now you might as well race for fun and quit being a prick cause you ain't got the genetics.