19 April, 2007

It's not all about the bike

I've been wanting to do a post that deals with other issues besides training, I have a few minutes of time to procrastinate with today so...

I am going to start with the most blatant problems here on the hill. A few days ago a political speaker (Michelle Malkin) came and spoke. She is quite conservative and her speech was titled "Invasion: How America Still Welcomes Terrorists, Criminals and Other Foreign Menaces to Our Shores." I did not end up going, but that is not what I am writing about. I am told that Mark Dayton was asked to come and speak as well, he even said he would. In the end however, somebody high up in the chain said no. I am told it was because having him come would produce too strong of a liberal view point to campus. With Malkin and a few years ago now Ann Colture a few years ago, isn't that bringing a far to conservative feel to the campus? You would think both parties would be invited. I guess not.
Next, as it turns out Olaf wants to sell some of the natural land (the area right across from the hospital, or right along 19) to development. The developers have said for light commercial or industrial purposes. Being that the city of Northfield banned Wal-Mart and the area in question just happens to be right out to city limits. I have few doubts about what would be built there. Just think of that beautiful sight as you come down 19 take the final corner, and instead of seeing Olaf perched over a sea of corn, you get a nice view of Wal-Mart.
Other than that Olaf has a few other raging problems. One being that somehow this campus has one of the higher percent of eating disorders among students in the country. Instead of enjoying the 4th best food in the nation, people either don't eat it or don't digest it. Something I will never understand...
Yet another problem that has developed is the building of the Science Center, yes it will be great when it is done. But right now Olaf is (I hear) a bit low on funds for it. It is actually pretty entertaining to see, every few weeks a gathering will be held to try and raise more money. The best part (about which I benefit) is that there is always cake and other small treats set out. Somehow by spending money they are going to make more. You would think that they would get all the money they need before they start building. Nope.
Next is the work study program here. Yes, it is good to give those who need a little more financial help the opportunity, but it should not hurt other students. I am talking of T.A.s there is a few German TAs who are grossly unqualified. To the point at which they cannot properly conjugate verbs. How is someone like that supposed to help people who are starting the language?
The other problems I probably should not write about, as I don't want to get in trouble. But I will sure tell you about them if you ask me!
Then there are a few small things that anger me. First there are squirrels that I room with, and they are very inconsiderate in the mornings. Second, tuition is over $38,000 now, and yet we have to pay for laundry. Come on now, give me a break.
Now I am just going to really complain! I have 8 papers/projects for 4 classes. And I have already done one. Thus it was 9 for 4 classes. For one class I have written 2,500 words on the word flatulent. I was bored writing it. I can't imagine what it would be like to read it. And then again 32 times. In that same class my professor LOST my midterm, but yet there were parts of it with the rest of the tests. How does that happen?

Enough about me, time for a National/World issue that just came up.
I am sure you all know about the Virginia Tech incident. Yes, it is terrible very terrible, but I have a few problems with how it is being treated. The news was on that evening in my house. The reporter was interviewing someone from the school, and basically saying that they were incompetent for not stopping it before of while it was happening. All the guy could do was get part of a sentence out before being told how poorly he handled the situation. Yes, people knew the kid had problems, but no one can predict him going to the extent he did. On that as well, the campus is around 26,000 people. That is basically a city, tell me the last time a city was able to go on lock down in a short time. What I am trying to say is the school should not be blamed for anything, they handled it as best they could.
Moving on to the world. I would just like to ask how many people know about what happened in Iraq yesterday. I found the article deep in the newspaper, but I had heard about it yesterday. It was pushed way back because of the extensive coverage about the school shooting. If you don't know 198 people were killed and around 240 were wounded. Most by the same bombing. I don't understand how something that big can not be front page news. 198 deaths are way more than 32, but apparently Iraqis don't matter. In my opinion Americans are way to self centered. If something happens abroad, who cares. But if something happens here, oh we have to change everything!
I know I may sound cold, I am not trying to be. I just think people need to not always think about problems here, but think about everyone else too.

Enough of that for today. I am going to go enjoy the nice weather and avoid the angry drivers (who I don't understand either)!

No comments: